Invitation to ubuntu developers

Shark Muddleworth shark.muddleworth at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 24 23:13:40 GMT 2006

Canonical's recent decision to include proprietary GPL violating
drivers in the default install, circumventing the copyright framework
clearly articulated in the GPL has sent shockwaves through the
community. If you are an ubuntu developer who is concerned about the
long term consequences of this fact, you may be interested in opensuse

We would be happy to help people who want to join the openSUSE
community - in any capacity, including developers and package
maintainers. If you want to find out how openSUSE works you can
communicate with the community (see
http://en.opensuse.org/Communicate). A special introductory session is
being organised for mid December, watch this space.

openSUSE is structured to empower our community to get things done,
and to maximise the opportunity for collaboration between teams that
share a common vision. Such tools as the openSUSE build service
(http://build.opensuse.org/) help empower our community.

If you have an interest in being part of a vibrant community that
cares about keeping free software widely available and protecting the
rights of people to get it free of charge, free to modify, free of GPL
violations, and focussing on creating the most usable Free software
desktop, then please do join us.

I know that posting this message to an ubuntu list will be
trolling^WControversial. I'm greatly respectful of the long tradition
of excellence in the Ubuntu product and community and have no desire
to undermine that with this post. That said, I think the position
taken by Ubuntu leadership in their inclusion of non-gpled kernel
modules linked to the GPLed kernel is disrespectful of the
contributions of thousands of GPL kernel programmers and contributors
to Ubuntu, and I know that many are looking for a new place to get
involved that is not subject to the same arbitrary executive
intervention. openSUSE is one option, as are Fedora, gnewsense other
communities. Please accept this mail in that spirit.

Some openSUSE members

_

Disclaimer:

Response to http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2006-11/msg03765.html,
intended to highlight the inappropriateness of the original mail.
Although based on facts, the above content is intended satirical and
not to attack ubuntu or offend.