Prototype for the time machine similar solution as you noted in h-u-b whiteboard.

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 17 07:42:15 GMT 2006

"Andrew Jorgensen" <andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com> writes:

> On 11/15/06, Sivan Greenberg <sivan at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Have you given thought to how to make sure user's HD doesn't get filled
>> with all the data that we back up? I suggest backup only the part of the
>> file that was changed, there are couple of ways to do that already.
>
> There's a simple trick involving rsync and hard-links, I've
> implemented it once before.

> [...]

> The above implementation only works when both source and target are on
> the same fs but it could easily be adapted to work with a remote
> rsync.
>
> Basically you only backup a file if it's different than the current
> backed-up file.  Another nice thing about it is it's file-system based
> so you can literally just cd into the past.  Probably the nicest
> thing, though, is that you can delete any snapshot and the others are
> still there.

This backup method is already ready and packaged in the package
'rsnapshot'. Your method is a variant of it. The difference is, that in
rsnapshot, you define a 'backup point', where all backups land. Most
probably this is another file system. I'd recommend mounting that
file system ro, and remounting it rw when doing backups.

Perhaps the hubackup team wants to consider this approach?

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4