Prototype for the time machine similar solution as you noted in h-u-b whiteboard.

Sivan Greenberg sivan at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 16 08:58:14 GMT 2006

Erast Benson wrote:

> I think you are right. And LVM is the right place to do such things.
> Unfortunetly it is quite limited on functionality. OpenSolaris's ZFS
> would be way better fit, but it is not an option for GNU/Linux users at
> the moment.

I wasn't suggesting that it was not the right tool for the job, and I
regret if that is what was implied from my reply. Lets take this further
then, to make this work for the average user we need:
1) Use LVM by default to set up users system and storage.
2) Automatically create the LV that will store the snapshots for the
user. This should probably be carried by a question to the user about
how robust he wants his "going-back-in-time" ability and explain to him
the proportional need for redundant disk space.
3) develop a simple UI on top of the tools to manage the snapshots such
that it would be easy for the user to track changes, see in which
snapshot the content he wants is, and allow him easily and safely return
to any of the snapshots requiring minimum understanding to what goes
behind the scenes in order to do so.

So if this was to be a spec, it would have been dependant on an "Enable
LVM by default" one. We should probably examine the situation in
Fedora/Redhat to see the benefits and the downsides of enabling LVM by
default.

Sivan