Desktop bling

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Mon Nov 13 01:49:03 GMT 2006

I've just uploaded various bits of desktop bling integration.

1) The current upstream version of compiz
2) The desktop-effects configuration applet from Fedora
3) Light patching to gnome-session in order to ensure that the settings
are used

At the time of writing desktop-effects doesn't seem to have hit the
archive yet, but should be there shortly. To enable the appropriate
bling, simply install desktop-effects, compiz and compiz-gnome, make
sure you've got the latest gnome-session and then click the button in
the "Desktop effects" applet that's under System/Preferences.

If you've had compiz installed from some other source previously,
there's a chance that your gconf setup will be a bit screwed. I'm
looking into making the upgrade path cleaner.

The default set of plugins is not very exciting. This is deliberate for
the moment.

Intel users: This should just work out of the box. It certainly does on
my i855.

Nvidia users: You'll need a 9000 series driver and to set

Option       "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"

in the screen section of your xorg.conf.

ATI users: Not a clue, I'm afraid. It ought to work fine out of the box
if you're using the free drivers, but I don't have any ATI machines here
to test.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org