Beagle badness

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Fri Nov 10 18:18:43 GMT 2006

Op vrijdag 10-11-2006 om 14:48 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Jamie
McCracken:
> Evandro Fernandes Giovanini wrote:
> > Currently, Tracker has advantages compared to Beagle, mainly smaller
> > memory footprint.
>
> it also has a fixed capped deterministic memory usage so it wont eat all
> your resources over time and uses considerably less cpu and battery
> power to index stuff. It also sleeps without peridically waking up so is
> very friendly for notebooks
[...]
> Yet tracker was built from the ground up to be stable, memory efficient
> and very robust and has been proposed for Gnome whilst Beagle devs still
> have big problems with stablity and memory usage and they admit
> themselves its no where near ready.
>
> However the best way to prove tracker is more stable is to get George
> Farris to run it and see if it has any issues compared to Beagle.

I've installed the tracker packages for edgy about 2 or 3 hours ago and
just now tracker-extract was trying to use 1 GiB of memory (not fun on a
PC with 512 MiB of RAM).  I have also seen several 'htmless' crashes and
at least one 'tracker-extract' crash.

So, I seems like 'tracker' isn't better than 'beagle' at the moment...

--
Jan Claeys