Beagle badness

Evandro Fernandes Giovanini efgiovanini at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 13:31:06 GMT 2006

Em Sex, 2006-11-10 às 10:46 +0200, Johan Kiviniemi escreveu:
> On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 08:18:04PM -0500, Samuel Cormier-Iijima wrote:
> > There is a proposal to include Tracker by default:
> > https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/tracker-integration
> > I think this would fix most of the performance problems people are
> > having

Currently, Tracker has advantages compared to Beagle, mainly smaller
memory footprint. But Beagle also has its strong points, such as better
integration with applications (Evolution, Firefox and Gaim for example),
as well as much wider testing. It's been enabled by default in Fedora
Core for two releases now, and it's also enabled by default in
openSUSE / SLED.

> In addition to minimal resource usage, Meta Tracker has some very
> appealing features over Beagle, such as RDF searches and very flexible
> metadata storage (arbitrary tags or other metadata can be attached to
> files).

That could be cool, but it won't be of any use to Ubuntu until
applications start supporting it. I think Rhythmbox is the most likely
candidate.

> The CVS version <https://launchpad.net/products/tracker/trunk> has
> evolved nicely since the last release.

The 0.5.1 release is quite recent. :)