problem of nvidia-glx and xorg-driver-fglrx

Adam Conrad adconrad at 0c3.net
Thu Nov 2 10:37:30 GMT 2006

jacky wrote:
> I noted that xorg-driver-fglrx conflicts with nvidia-glx. I am so
> strange of this. Can't they work together?

They both divert libGL.so, so no, they can't really work together in any
meaningful way.  I had tossed around the idea at one point of writing a
libGL wrapper that could at least allow us to avoid diverting it, but it
still wouldn't let you use both fglrx and nvidia together, as
applications would have no way of specifying which libGL they wanted to
write to.

(Okay, I suppose if the wrapper was Xinerama-aware and other fancy
things, and could throw calls for one card to one libGL and calls for
another to the other, it could perhaps work, but this all just sounds
very sick, twisted, and utterly wrong... If you really want them to be
able to work together, encourage NVIDIA and ATI to work with the
Xorg/mesa folk on unifying libGL instead of providing their own)

> Also, I noted that nvidia-glx depend on
> linux-restricted-modules-2.6.17-10-386. I must install
> linux-restricted-modules-2.6.17-10-386 even if I have installed
> linux-restricted-modules-2.6.17-10-generic.

This isn't actually true.  nvidia-glx depends on nvidia-kernel-1.0.8774,
which is provided by all the various LRM packages.  If you install
nvidia-glx without having an LRM installed, apt will try to pull in
-386, because it's the first alphabetically, but if -generic is already
installed this definitely doesn't happen:

(base)adconrad at cthulhu:~$ dpkg -l linux-restricted-modules\* | grep ^i |
awk '{print $2}'
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.17-10-generic
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.17-9-generic
linux-restricted-modules-common
linux-restricted-modules-generic
(base)adconrad at cthulhu:~$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
  nvidia-kernel-source
  nvidia-glx
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 4066kB of archives.
After unpacking 12.6MB of additional disk space will be used.

... Adam