Recommended and Suggested packages

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 8 05:46:51 GMT 2006

Am Dienstag, den 07.11.2006, 21:25 -0800 schrieb Corey Burger:

> As for 6.10 it installs Recommended by default. As for a UI for
> showing suggested packages, there is nothing currently. Want to spec
> one out?

The recommends support is currently only available for metapackages. We
still need to clean up the recommends of many packages.

I am unsure if we really need a GUI option for this. Since the
recommends also have got dependencies, the confirmation dialog would get
quite complex if you allow to uncheck recommends there.

At the moment you can install recommends and suggestions by right
clicking on a package.

Recommends will be no hard dependencies. So if a recommended package
cannot be installed it won't block the package that you wanted to
install originally.

Cheers,

Sebastian