The Ubuntu Backup Team

Sivan Greenberg sivan at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 5 22:40:07 GMT 2006

Hello Everybody!

  As some of you might have already noticed, there is a back-up program
available from universe called 'HUBackup'. This program is part of
recent efforts to make data preservation more nicely integrated into the
desktop, such that even our parents or children are able to preserve
their precious homework, important documents, personal settings, media
content and computer configuration.

   Making HUBackup a rocking desktop backup solution is only the first
goal. I would like us to reach the next level: providing rock solid,
tightly integrated and complete system disaster recovery solution,
suitable both to desktop /and/ server users. There should not be
scattered scripts, spread configuration files, complex command line
arguments to remember and no one standard system that makes it hard to
provide support.

To track, manage and compliment the these efforts we have created the
Ubuntu Backup Team[1]. This team will be responsible for:

  * Active development of hubackup[2]
  * bug triage and fixing[3].
  * Exploring related technologies, leverage them for our purposes.
  * Keep excellent contact with the community to make sure needs are
answered.
  * Communicate our efforts outside Ubuntu, making sure others are able
to reuse them to their benefit and joy[4].

As creating rocking backup solutions involves alot of different
technologies, care, thought and testing we need as many as working hands
we can get. Especially so as we would like to be to accomplish the first
goal for Feisty Fawn. I'd like to invite anybody interested to drop me
or Mario Danic (pygi @ freenode) a line on either #ubuntu-devel or
#ubuntu-desktop IRC channels over freenode and start contributing. Help
us on our journey to a safer tomorrow!

Thanks alot for your attention and see you there,

Sivan

---
[1]: https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-backup
[2]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HomeUserBackup
[3]: https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/hubackup/+bugs
[4]: Making sure Edubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu benefit from the efforts, and
upstream projects.