nvidia driver update

Kees Cook kees at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 1 16:14:39 GMT 2006

Hi!  We have an update to the linux-restricted-modules-* packages for
Dapper and Edgy due to the the nvidia driver fixes[1], but I'd like to
get some wider testing done before we make the official security
publication.

Can folks that use any of the l-r-m packages give the update a quick
spin?  Mostly I'd like to verify that none of the crashes seen in bug
46034[2] crash anyone any more, and that there are no regressions in the
l-r-m packaging itself:

deb http://people.ubuntu.com/~kees/testing/ ./

Don't forget that the nvidia update includes a new kernel module, so
you'll need to either reboot or be sneaky about reloading the nvidia
module before you can restart X.

So far we've at least tested Edgy/amd64 and Dapper/i386.  I'd like to
get some more combinations and confirmations.  :)

Thanks!

[1] http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1971
[2] https://launchpad.net/bugs/46034

--