Speeding up live cd boot through optimizing file layout

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Wed May 31 11:12:36 BST 2006

Krzysztof Lichota napisał(a):
> I have tried putting these files at the edge and the results are 10
> seconds worse. Apparently seeks are more frequent and throughput is not
> an issue.
> So sorting by first access gives currently the best results.

I have timed boot manually until desktop appears. The results are really
interesting :)
Optimized CD boots 60 seconds faster in comparison to plain CD with
bootchart and about 35 seconds faster than original kubuntu RC1 live CD.
I haven't measured optimized CD without bootchart yet :)

Exact results:
Desktop - Athlon 1.2 Ghz, 256 MB RAM: Kubuntu with bootchart (3:44,
3:54), optimized CD with bootchart (2:47, 2:47), plain Kubuntu (3:22, 3:25)

I have updated my page
http://lichota.net/~krzysiek/projects/kubuntu/dapper-livecd-optimization/
with latest results and added description how to produce trace (for
example for Ubuntu and Xubuntu).

	Krzysztof Lichota