Packaging Windows apps for Linux Was: Picasa for Linux

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Tue May 30 06:17:57 BST 2006

This has actually been a side-project idea of mine for a long while, and
it seems like it will be perfect for Edgy.

A far more elegant solution is to package Windows apps and have them
depend on a stable Wine version released in the supported section of
Ubuntu.  With a stable release of Wine included in Edgy, ISV's like
Google will be able to provide packages without having to include/test
their own build of Wine.  Additionally, should we find some good open
source software that's better than the Linux equivalents (my favorite
example is eMule), we can package it up ourselves.

Please have a look at the following spec idea.  I really do think it
would be a defining point for Edgy.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BetterIntegratedWineSpec

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie