Icon alert

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Mon May 29 18:06:37 BST 2006

Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> In days before the release this is NOT the thing to do:
>
> * Replace icons with bad new ones (gaim, distributor logo)
> * Introduce icons which require patching of a lot of applications (tab
>   close)

We have an external icon designer, and are trying to get as many icons
to the new spec as possible before release. We will also ship, two to
four weeks after release, an update which tidies up any loose ends. The
distributor logo has gone through many revisions (there's a new one
coming shortly today) which attempt to do justice to the Ubuntu logo in
that tiny space - so far IMO unsuccessfully. We will keep pushing to the
end, to try and get the best balance.

You say "don't make any mistakes" but clearly, since the theme is
incomplete, we have to keep going to get as much completeness as possible.

As far as I am aware the next drop should:

 - address the jumping netstatus icon
 - introduce a new variant of the distributor logo
 - make the volume bars black again (instead of orange at higher volume)
 - revert the gaim icon (we don't have time to make all the notifiers
consistent)

Thank you,
Mark