Wording of "switch user" was: Improved Quit Dialog

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Sat May 27 17:46:15 BST 2006

Hi,

[ If something is being done about this already please let me know. ]

One thing that bothers me about the logout dialog is that it has the
same problem that I see on Windows XP all of the time.  Users want to
change logins but use "switch user" without realizing that by doing so
they leave all of the programs open in the other login.  They will login
multiple users when they really only have enough memory for one.  And
they wonder why their system is so slow.

This is all because "switch user" has a direct connection in their mind
to what they want to do and "log out" does not.  Here is a short list of
possible solutions that I can think of quickly:

Rename "log out" to "log out and switch user"
Rename "switch user" to something else.
Remove the "log out" button and add a check box below the "switch user"
button labeled "and log out" that defaults to checked and have the last
state of the check box saved per-user.

Comments please.