Regarding broadcom drivers

Robert Schumann robert at cantab.net
Fri May 26 00:24:36 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 01:11 +0200, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> On do, 2006-05-25 at 17:29 -0500, Sean wrote:
> > Would it be possible to have you put up a download which I could get
> > that would get everything working on my computer without the hassle?
> > Thank you.
>
> No. Ubuntu is not allowed to redistribute the firmware, not even via
> downloading.

More than this, proprietary firmware makers tend to change the firmware
without telling anyone and without updating version numbers.  There is
no point in distributing firmware under such conditions; you need to use
the CD that came with your card.

You shouldn't have to issue iwconfig commands at startup, if you
configure your card as described on the wiki page
   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/Driver/Broadcom43xx
Personally, I'm still using ndiswrapper with my WMP54G because I just
haven't gotten around to hauling out the CD and fwcuttering it.

I suppose there may be an argument for providing a more offline-friendly
way of doing this instead of the piecemeal method described in the wiki.

Robert.