RFC: Better portability for package maintainers

Erast Benson erast at gnusolaris.org
Sat May 20 16:07:53 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 16:33 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 19 mai 2006 à 13:15 -0700, Alex Ross a écrit :
> > Ideally though, there'd be an augmented policy of package acceptance,
> > reflecting the fact that the packages with "Architecture: any" should build
> > and run on one of the Debian POSIX-compliant systems. NexentaOS is
> > certainly one such system. To help implement this new policy we could "plug"
> > our AutoBuilder [1] into the existing build environment.
>
> Please wake up. Debian is a GNU system and needs a GNU environment. I
> doubt that more than half of the archive can build without the GNU libc.
> This is the reason why the FreeBSD port started by porting the glibc.

Let me just give you an freebsd example:

"""The FreeBSD Ports and Packages Collection offers a simple way for
users and administrators to install applications. There are currently
14682 ports available."""

14000+ (source ports) is quite a number and far bigger than the half of
Debian APT repo.

Flink is a good Darwin example and actively growing too.

Nexenta is a good candidate of OpenSolaris ports. Besides it uses GNU
userland (instead of SUN userland), this simplifies porting efforts too.

--
Erast