Niagara Support and Ubuntu

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at ubuntu.com
Fri May 19 04:27:11 BST 2006

Hi Colm,

Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> Hey there,

[big fat snip]

> I think about 90% of the problem is the installer Vs the ALOM's serial
> console and the T1000 broadcom issue, but I'd still be a bit wary about
> the relative newness of some of the other code. But I just wanted to
> chip in and make sure that I'd communicated some of our experiences.

Thanks a lot for your long report and explanation of your points.

David and I were already aware of the T1000 problem and working with some
broadcom guys to get it fixed. It might not make the Jun 1st release, but we
will be easily able to release a netboot image with a fix if that's required.

I did plan to work on a Sparc release note as soon as i am back from vacation
next week :) all your points are taken and if you feel like starting it from
your experience, please go ahead. I suggest to use this url:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/sparc/DapperReleaseNotes

In regard of the ALOM/vty. i think we will have space to play around in edgy.
The Niagara support arrived a bit too late into the dapper process to really
make a big revolution into the installer to workaround the speed of the internal
serial console. Nevermind that SUN added ansi color support to the console that
doesn't really make it any faster but it's a good eyecandy :P

Fabio