new java?

Doug Rintoul doug_rintoul at sil.org
Wed May 17 17:24:26 BST 2006

Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> On 5/15/06, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed on dapper-changes that there is a sun-java package that has
>> just arrived. If that is what I think it is, it changes the way that
>> people can install java on Dapper.
>>
>> Was anyone considering notifying the documentation team about that? It
>> is after all 3 months past feature freeze, 1 month past documentation
>> freeze, and 2 days before documentation translation freeze.
>>
>> I'm willing to change our desktop guide really fast, but I'd like to
>> know what this package does, and how it affects the following two bits
>> of documentation, both in System/Help/System Documentation/Ubuntu
>> Desktop Guide:
>>
>> 1. Common Tasks/Internet/3.4.4.3
>> 2. Common Tasks/Programming/3.8.2
>>
>> If someone could let me know, I'd appreciate it.
>
> I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to be a new way to get Sun Jave
> 5, according to the changelogs (and the name of its uploader is t the
> end):
> (http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/multiverse/s/sun-java5/sun-java5_1.5.0-06-1/changelog)
>

> sun-java5 (1.5.0-06-1) dapper; urgency=low
>
>   * For the plugins, use the alternative names used by java-package:
>    netscape-javaplugin.so, mozilla-javaplugin.so, firefox-javaplugin.so.
>  * -jre: suggest the -fonts package (Tom Marble).
Does this package have or will it have mozilla/firefox plugins for
amd64? I installed this yesterday on my amd64 dapper, and the links in
/etc/alternative pointed to nonexistent files. In the past, the only 64
bit Java plugin has been the Blackdown 1.4.2 plugin. No 1.5 series
plugin seems to be currently available for 64 bit Linux. So this would
be really cool if this package did have the 64 bit plugin.

Doug.