Ubiquity installer not usable on machines with <= 256 MB of RAM

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Sat May 13 13:03:27 BST 2006

Colin Watson napisał(a):
> On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 05:40:56PM +0200, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
>> Joao Inacio napisał(a):
>>> Great news, and everyone loves cake! ;)
>>>
>>> Does this mean that those 50MB are no longer used?
>>> and if so (and assuming no swap), can we expect the minimum memory
>>> requirements for the install to be arround 192MB?
>
> The saving probably won't be quite equal to the maximum memory used by
> localedef, because other subprocesses are spawned at various points from
> the baseline of ubiquity-without-localedef; but we should save the best
> part of 50MB, yes.
>
>> I don't think so. Desktop environment alone uses more than that, it is
>> even currently on the edge with ~240MB of RAM.
>
> On a current live CD, 'free' reports 109196KB used minus buffers/cache.
> (This is in VMware, but I don't believe that it matters.) It seems
> unlikely that hardware differences or whatever could account for such a
> huge difference; are you sure you're looking at the right number?

OK. I have numbers for Kubuntu, Ubuntu is in the works :)
Total memory: 239 (really 239480 as reported by free/top, I will round it).
Right after booting live CD: used=235 free=4 shared=0 buffers=0
cached=80 swap used=20
After "swapoff -a": used=235 free=4 shared=0 buffers=10 cached=90
I will omit used, buffers, free and shared from now on, as they do not
change significantly.
After starting Ubiquity: cached=81
Ubiquity step "locale"->"timezone" (Polish locale): cached minimum=68
Ubiquity step "choosing partitioning type": cached=61
Here I accidentally restarted Xserver by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace :/
On the second run when I got to "custom partitioning" step (Qtparted),
the numbers were: used=225 free=14 cached=62.
Going to "Ready to install step": used=236 free=4 cached=52.

And that's all, since then swap was set up.
I guess I will have to write a script to gather exact numbers as I might
have missed some minimum during creating filesystems.

All memory numbers gathered from tty console (not using Konsole) using
top/free.

Regards

	Krzysztof Lichota