Kernel 2.6.16 for Dapper LTS?

David Walker dave at mudsite.com
Fri May 12 22:28:57 BST 2006

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 05:25:36AM +0100, Anders Karlsson wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 14:25 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>>
>>> That's a bit unfortunate, because 2.6.16 was not ready at the time when we
>>> needed to make this decision.  We've put a lot of work into stabilizing
>>> 2.6.15, though (including backporting bugfixes), and it's looking very good.
>>>
>> Question,
>>
>> If 2.6.16 becomes a better choice for Dapper, maybe in July, November or
>> early next year, would a proper Ubuntu sanctioned kernel package be made
>> available in dapper-extras or dapper-backports ?
>>

> Whether it could go into dapper-backports would depend heavily on how
> exactly the package was derived.  The usual approach for -backports is to
> build the package from the development release, which in the case of Edgy
> could be somewhat aggressive.
>
> Also, as Scott pointed out, corresponding updates to the udev subsystem (and
> possibly other related packages) would need to track the new kernel.
>
> In principle, I'm not opposed to kernel backports, but understand that the
> issues are complex and someone dedicated and knowledgeable would need to
> tend to them.

I have not been reading all that much on the devel list recently, but I
just thought of something about this now.

Has there been any thought into the usability of dapper 2, 3, or 4 years
from now?  Since it will be a supported system for 5, hardware in the
next few years be incompatible with the current kernel.  Or new hardware
may only have support with some nifty new features in Linux3.0.  So is
the hardware of the future going to be supported, or is the support of
dapper limited to hardware currently available at the release?

--
Dave Walker