Ubiquity installer not usable on machines with <= 256 MB of RAM

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Fri May 12 19:26:40 BST 2006

Colin Watson napisał(a):
> Well, this turned out to be an unnecessary diversion. Much to my relief,
> it turned out that there was a better way to do this which avoided the
> 50MB memory hit while also avoiding the size penalty on the CD images.
> See https://launchpad.net/bugs/43071 for the details.
>
> I like being able to have my cake and eat it. Mmm, cake.

Mhm, another problem spotted. Currently going from "Select language"
step to next step takes well over a minute (on 3 GHz CPU with 1GB of
RAM), during which Ubiquity looks frozen. If this is going to take this
much time, progress bar is needed, so that user's don't think it is broken.

I have noticed during that time there are many times "debconf-copydb" is
 running.

This happens with Ubiquity (KDE frontend) 0.99.79 and 0.99.78, installed
from packages on normal Dapper installation (not live CD).
With Gnome frontend it does not happen.

Shall I report a bug?

Regards

	Krzysztof Lichota