Ubiquity installer not usable on machines with <= 256 MB of RAM

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri May 12 17:24:51 BST 2006

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 05:40:56PM +0200, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> Joao Inacio napisał(a):
> > Great news, and everyone loves cake! ;)
> >
> > Does this mean that those 50MB are no longer used?
> > and if so (and assuming no swap), can we expect the minimum memory
> > requirements for the install to be arround 192MB?

The saving probably won't be quite equal to the maximum memory used by
localedef, because other subprocesses are spawned at various points from
the baseline of ubiquity-without-localedef; but we should save the best
part of 50MB, yes.

> I don't think so. Desktop environment alone uses more than that, it is
> even currently on the edge with ~240MB of RAM.

On a current live CD, 'free' reports 109196KB used minus buffers/cache.
(This is in VMware, but I don't believe that it matters.) It seems
unlikely that hardware differences or whatever could account for such a
huge difference; are you sure you're looking at the right number?

Cheers,