Ubiquity installer not usable on machines with <= 256 MB of RAM

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri May 12 15:39:21 BST 2006

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 05:55:34PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> I feel a 7MB size penalty on the CD images, and a small amount of code
> in Ubiquity/localechooser to make sure we only ever generate locales for
> the default country on the running live CD, might well be worth it to
> avoid a 50MB memory hit (assuming there's nothing else spawned by
> Ubiquity that's quite so memory-hungry). We would need a small amount of
> judo to make sure that the real locale is generated in the installed
> system eventually, but we can install a temporary init script or
> something to do that.

Well, this turned out to be an unnecessary diversion. Much to my relief,
it turned out that there was a better way to do this which avoided the
50MB memory hit while also avoiding the size penalty on the CD images.
See https://launchpad.net/bugs/43071 for the details.

I like being able to have my cake and eat it. Mmm, cake.

Cheers,