Ubiquity installer not usable on machines with <= 256 MB of RAM

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue May 9 19:43:02 BST 2006

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 07:27:22PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 10:52:18AM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > find /usr/lib/locale -type f | xargs -n1 gzip -c |wc -c
> >
> > should better approximate the space they might occupy on the live CD.  The
> > difference could be significant at that scale.
>
> Oh, really? I thought that files in the same directory would probably be
> adjacent in the squashfs and thus compressed all at once.

I'm pretty certain squashfs compresses files separately, otherwise opening a
file would require decompressing the entire stream to seek up to the
appropriate point.  It would also make the ISOs very un-rsyncable.

> > At what point do you propose to pre-generate them?  During the package build
> > or the livefs build?  Which packages in total would need to be changed in
> > order to support this?
>
> During the livefs build, by strategic calls to locale-gen. Ubiquity and
> localechooser would need to be changed.

Won't this make the live CD builds take significantly longer?  How many
locales are in your proposed list (could you post a copy here)?

Would the other locales still be generated for the installed system?

--
 - mdz