Ubiquity installer not usable on machines with <= 256 MB of RAM

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Tue May 9 18:32:11 BST 2006

Colin Watson napisał(a):
> I'm sort of with Krzysztof on this, actually.

Thanks :)

> I feel a 7MB size penalty on the CD images, and a small amount of code
> in Ubiquity/localechooser to make sure we only ever generate locales for
> the default country on the running live CD, might well be worth it to
> avoid a 50MB memory hit (assuming there's nothing else spawned by
> Ubiquity that's quite so memory-hungry). We would need a small amount of
> judo to make sure that the real locale is generated in the installed
> system eventually, but we can install a temporary init script or
> something to do that.

Why is this locale needed anyway during install? It is not used by
LiveCD AFAIK. So maybe generating this locale should be moved altogether
to first-boot script?

> Obviously I'll try to optimise Ubiquity's memory use in other ways. I've
> found a few places where I should be able to extract fair-sized savings,
> although nothing approaching 50MB.

Unfortunately, seems that it does not solve the problem with Ubuntu
(might do the trick for Kubuntu), as Ubuntu seems to eat more memory, so
installer will not start at all.

Regards

	Krzysztof Lichota