Ubiquity installer not usable on machines with <= 256 MB of RAM

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Tue May 9 16:35:59 BST 2006

On 5/9/06, Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek at lichota.net> wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman napisał(a):
> >> I will try to test Ubuntu version tomorrow, along with Flight 7 of
> >> Kubuntu to see if the problem is still there.
> >
> > I would not expect the results to be different.
>
> With Ubuntu (flight 7), on my laptop (240 MB of real memory) it is even
> worse than with Kubuntu :(
> I cannot even turn off swap (swapoff -a) without freezing the system or
> killing swapoff process due to out-of-memory.
>
> Can someone else verify this (with real setup, not in virtual environment)?

I don't see that.  With my laptop (Ubuntu Flight 7 + daily updates),
with 256mb of ram, I turned off swap, and the system is still usable,
but a little bit slower.  That's with Firefox running and your default
set of applets installed in the panel.   Here is the output of the
free command before and after turning off the swap:

daniel at laptop:~$ free
Mem:        248196     242320       5876          0       1528      50936
-/+ buffers/cache:     189856      58340
Swap:       730916      33972     696944
daniel at laptop:~$ sudo swapoff -a
Password:
daniel at laptop:~$ free
Mem:        248196     244544       3652          0        136      43460
-/+ buffers/cache:     200948      47248
Swap:            0          0          0

--
Daniel Robitaille