Binary diffs for deb files

John Nilsson john at milsson.nu
Fri May 5 15:43:28 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 12:05 +0100, James Hall wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 21:01 +0200, John Nilsson wrote:
> > In any case, checksums and deltas should be based on the actual
> > content,
> > not the compressed representation of it.
>
> I can see where you're coming from. My thinking is to have the deltas
> based on the uncompressed content, but maintain the checksum of the
> compressed representation (which I have achieved). This allows us to use
> the existing code for checking signatures.

I don't know very much about how debs are supposed to be, or what kinds
of checksums we are talking about. One thing I do know though is that
I'd like md5sums for each file in the package, and whatever it installs,
so that I can verify the integrity of the installed files at any time.

Would a signed md5sum file be suitable for the purposes you are talking
about?

Regards,
John