unnecessary QA work (was Re: dapper-live test)

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Thu May 4 10:26:49 BST 2006

Jason Stewart wrote:

> Is this realistic to ask of people? I'm not so sure - so I'm curious
> what your experience says. Speaking only from the experience of the
> (small) projects I've been involved in - I've been grateful for anyone
> willing to take the time to report a bug. Maybe 50% haven't been real
> bugs, but I feel that's one price to pay, and that it really is QA's
> job ultimately (my opinion).
I thought a bit about this last month while triaging xorg bugs and wrote
some ideas to the launchpad list:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/launchpad-users/2006-April/000249.html

The point is to help submitters file better bug reports by a) giving
relevant advice for individual packages (in the Malone interface) and b)
do a text-based search after the bug is filed to help the submitter
him/herself find duplicates ('please read these related bug reports
which may be duplicates of yours').

- Henrik