de-uglyfying usplash, replace it with splashy/upower?

Patrick McFarland diablod3 at gmail.com
Thu May 4 03:41:07 BST 2006

On Wednesday 03 May 2006 21:08, Keith Curtis wrote:
> Patrick writes:
> >So, yeah, in short, I prefer working above eyecandy, as does everyone
> > else.
>
> In the open source world, we can all scratch whatever itches we want to.

I didn't mean to say that people shouldn't do something if they feel like it,
if they would otherwise not do anything at all...

> Obviously the core dev team is too busy to do this work

But thats what I was getting at. The dev team should be working on stuff that
has actual functional importance. Not that I'm telling them what to do, or
anything, but its probably a good idea to make it work before making it look
good.

> but if people think
> it could be made nicer and someone with interest and expertise to take on
> the problem wants to, then I say have at it! Maybe they'll find and fix
> other bugs as part of this work. At some level, a GUI is eye-candy, and 3-D
> GUI even more so.

GUI is more in the human usability category than eye-candy... but
Enlightenment et al. are obviously eye-candy. And stuff like Compiz, although
really neat, and it does improve usability in some places, is a borderline
case.

(Speaking of which, now that I finally have Compiz mostly working right on ATI
binary drivers... I can't wait for AIGLX.)

> (Whether it is too late to take the change or the code is too complicated
> or buggy or slows things down or whatever is an issue, but that is the case
> for every feature in the product.)

Yeah, launch for dapper is in about a month iirc, so its a little too late to
be doing major hacking stuff on important stuff... well, at least, important
stuff that fits most people's definitions of 'working'.

--
Patrick McFarland || www.AdAstraPerAspera.com
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,