Administration Menu

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue May 2 18:01:47 BST 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 02:08:39AM -0400, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >> For example editing a system file I usually use sudo vi but I tell my
> >> users to use gedit in "run as different user", they seem to understand
> >> that better.
> >>

> > This seems like a potentially valid use case, though my general feeling is
> > that tools which open a GUI to prompt for a command line to run are not
> > significantly better than opening a terminal and running the command.
> >
> > $ sudo gedit
> > $ gksudo gedit
> >

> I just ran into this with a user today, and I was wondering if we should
> re-enable this one. I'm happy to do so if it goes into the right place
> in the menu system, under Accessories (System Tools would be another
> option but we've gotten rid of it by default and I'd rather not
> resurrect it just for this).

Do you feel the same way in light of the point I raised above?  We already
have an item in the Accessories menu which allows to run shell commands as a
different user; it just has a less intuitive user interface.  Is it worth
having a special-purpose tool for this particular subset of shell commands?

--
 - mdz