Administration Menu

Mark Shuttleworth mark at hbd.com
Tue May 2 07:08:39 BST 2006

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>> For example editing a system file I usually use sudo vi but I tell my
>> users to use gedit in "run as different user", they seem to understand
>> that better.
>>

> This seems like a potentially valid use case, though my general feeling is
> that tools which open a GUI to prompt for a command line to run are not
> significantly better than opening a terminal and running the command.
>
> $ sudo gedit
> $ gksudo gedit

I just ran into this with a user today, and I was wondering if we should
re-enable this one. I'm happy to do so if it goes into the right place
in the menu system, under Accessories (System Tools would be another
option but we've gotten rid of it by default and I'd rather not
resurrect it just for this).

Mark