Xorg error messages are poor

Borden Rhodes hislordship at canada.com
Fri Mar 31 19:50:55 BST 2006

As a Linux newbie of 2 months, I'd like to throw in my two
cents' worth on the bash and X discussion.

First, as there seems to be some insinuation to this effect,
newbies are not stupid or lazy.  I, for one, am desperate to
learn and contribute to the community, but orienting oneself
in the Open Source universe takes a lot of time - or maybe
I'm going about it the hard way.  Alas, I digress...

Anyway, to my point.  One of my greatest frustrations,
because X programs are breaking all the time on my Dapper
install, is trying to source the problem.  My current
hacking strategy (because I don't know any others) is to
Google "Ubuntu crash <insert program here>" and see what I
come up with.  The useful troubleshooting steps that I can
find ALWAYS involve Bash so, yes, it must be newbie friendly
(even with a lot of Windows hacking experience Linux
troubleshooting is still a problem for me).

To facilitate this, Ubuntu needs better error messages than
the one that I got in Totem when I inserted a DVD "Unable to
play DVD disc.  No reason."  What would be great is a
human-readable debugging dump without a lot of numbers and
punctuation like in a kernel dump (and I've had my share of
those too).  Ideally, the dump should be something that one
can copy into Google to see if anyone else has run across
the same thing.

IMHO, I think this would help newbies a lot.

Borden Rhodes

Upgrade your account today for increased storage; mail
forwarding or POP enabled e-mail with automatic virus
scanning. Visit our member benefits page at
https://members.canada.com/benefits.aspx for more
information.