Bug Contact Subscriptions in Malone

Brad Bollenbach brad.bollenbach at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 21:06:55 BST 2006

Hey all,

I'm working to improve bug contact subscribing/unsubscribing in Malone.
Since Ubuntu developers are currently the most active user base for
Malone, I thought it best to ask you guys for input on the issues.

There are two problems that I'm currently trying to address:

1. When you choose to become a bug contact, you are subscribed only to
the bugs opened *after* the moment you become a bug contact.

2. When you choose to no longer be a bug contact, you remain subscribed
to all the bugs you got subscribed to automatically while you were a bug
contact.

It's unlikely that either behaviour is expected, and this has already
caused us much pain when people wonder why they seem to be missing
bugmail.

I propose these solutions:

1. When you become a bug contact, you get subscribed to all public bugs
currently reported on the package. When you choose to no longer be a bug
contact, you are unsubscribed from all bugs on the package for which you
are not the reporter.

2. Same as #1, except make the subscribe/unsubscribe behaviour optional.

3. Same as #1, except make the subscriptions "implicit" so that you
don't really get Cc'd to each and every bug, but are instead shown as
getting mail on this bug because you're a bug contact. This allows
explicitly choosing to subscribe yourself to a bug, so that if you
decide to no longer be a bug contact, you can remain subscribed, even if
you're not the reporter.

Thoughts? Anyone have any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Brad