X error log

Scott Bronson bronson at rinspin.com
Wed Mar 29 22:50:37 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 15:57 -0500, Nicholas Battaglia wrote:
> Man that Debian response was harsh:
>
>  I didn't get the memo that said .xsession-errors is supposed to be useless,
>   and I resent the Desktop Movement for trying to make it thus.
> That guy sure is passionate about .xsession-errors.
>
> I also agree that they should be truncated.

Branden's not known for his bedside manner.  But the dude is smart and
very productive.

.xsession-errors is meant for errors.  Errors!  Gnome and KDE apps,
though, manage to fill it with megabytes of useless warnings.

Unfortunately, I think the cat is out of the bag on this one.  There's
no way you're going to change every single Gnome and KDE app to not spew
wads of garbage while they run.

Reluctantly, I agree.  It should be truncated.  It's a shameful
situation though.  It would be nice to somehow pipe all Gnome and KDE
output to /dev/null so that .xsession-errors can become useful again.

    - Scott