Dapper on HP nx5000 laptop - ethernet not activate

Burn Alting burn at goldweb.com.au
Wed Mar 29 05:21:57 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 18:57 -0600, Bonilla, Alejandro wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 11:06 +1100, Burn Alting wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a HP (Compqa) NX5000 laptop on which I have Dapper running. It is
> > connected to my wired network at home.
> >
> > Sometimes when I boot it, the default ethernet device (eth0) is not
> > activated. This never occurred under Hoary. It is a simple thing to
> > activate the interface, but surely it should come up automatically.
> >
> > Before submitting a bug, what should I check or can I provide to help
> > diagnose this problem - perhaps I've not set something up correctly.
>
> What driver does it use?

It's b44 (Broadcom BCM4401-B0)

> If you set the driver under /etc/modules does this work on boot?

Doesn't help. Just rebooted with b44 in /etc/modules and nothing. Had to
activate by hand.

Is there some configuration file that says, activate eth0 on boot?

> -Dapper is not yet out-

A company I work for want's to base a soon to be released product on
Dapper as it will be supported for 5 years. So, to catch any problems
well in advance, I'm using Dapper.