hibernation reliability

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Tue Mar 28 12:16:59 BST 2006

I have the impression that hibernation is prone to failure***. This
means a user expects to find his session unharmed, but instead
everything is gone. This is *bad*, especially for a _Dapper_ release.

So I have two questions/issues:
1) What is the status of hibernation reliability, and do we recognize a
problem? Can hibernation be guaranteed to work in Dapper?
2) If not all systems will reliably hibernate given Dapper's time
constraints, is it then technically possible to detect this issue? Can
this be implemented in short time? At least I think it would be good if
the logout-dialog could base the availability of the hibernate option on
the gconf-key /apps/gnome-power-manager/can_hibernate (if I understand
it's purpose correctly). (Manu: that's why I felt free to CC you)

Welcoming your thoughts,
Eric

*** Until recently my system appeared to hang when it came up after
hibernation, at the moment I expected X to come up. This seems to be
fixed with some update from this week. Because I saw many issues about
hibernation on bugzilla, I thought I'd bring this to you attention anyway.