Sudo even more secure

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Sat Mar 25 00:37:50 GMT 2006

Jan Claeys wrote:
> Again: I do *not* propose a system for allowing every user to install
> programs.  A "solution" for that "problem" can be found in e.g. the
> 'Klik' system[1].
>
> What I propose is that apt & dpkg shouldn't have to run as root to
> install normal applications.  I propose that it runs as a *less*
> privileged user to minimise the damage it can do.
>

> [1] <http://klik.atekon.de/ubuntu.php>

Ok, a "less priviledged user", so let's say it can install stuff that is
optional (not necessary for the system to function), and can provide
programs a user *might* choose to use.
Look at Windows Vista, those guys are making some Filesystem
virtualisation to have a different "Program Files" thing for every
program, so they can deny write access to the real Program Files and
still make programs that want write access happy.
Anything is possible, but it's a burden to implement. The reason no-one
does it is that people don't really see a problem in the current
situation. There are a lot of security issues, but I'm afraid none of
them is really solved by your proposal.

Cheers,
Eric