gnome-app-install applications

Michael Vogt michael.vogt at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 24 13:05:01 GMT 2006

Dear Friends,

gnome-app-install (and adept_installer) has been improved over the
last couple of weeks and the amount of applications is much more
complete nowadays.

This is achieved by a tool that scans all packages of the current
distribution for i386, amd64 and powerpc for desktop files and icons
and adds them to the pool of available applications. The downside of
this approach is that quite a few not that useful desktop files are
added (three desktop files for evolution for example where one is
enough) or that packages are added are not really end-user
applications (gnome-about comes to mind).

I need some help here! If you have some time, please look over the
applications that are available in g-a-i and tell me about duplicates
and pointless entries. I will add them to the blacklist. The current
blacklists are available here:

Desktop file blacklist:
http://people.ubuntu.com/~mvo/bzr/gnome-app-install/gai--main/util/blacklist_desktop.cfg

Package-Name blacklist:
http://people.ubuntu.com/~mvo/bzr/gnome-app-install/gai--main/util/blacklist.cfg

The desktop files that gnome-app-install/adept_installer uses are
locally available at: /usr/share/app-install/desktop

Please sent me a (private) mail with additional desktop files or
package names that you think we should blacklist.

Thanks,
 Michael