Dapper Release

john e john.godzero at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 17:42:23 GMT 2006

Étienne Bersac: I agree. dapper+1 will be much less stable (MTBF-wise)
but "cooler", hence the super-user/home-user appeal. As I understand
it: dapper+1 will be the "windows 95" of the new cycle, the least
capable (in a production scence) but most fresh of the new run... but
you prolly already know this.

For your typical user, Vista will be seen as the  "windows 95" of the
microsoft cycle, I think. Cool new eye candy, but little content.
They'll really demand that Vista+1  has some more polish. I think the
ubuntu and windows cycles sync well at this time. After that is our
first really good chance to pull way ahead.

GNU/OSS has been evolving faster than windows (opinion / almost
fact).. couple that with the fact that GNU/OSS had a bit of a late
start.. I think that we have a real chance to affect the average USA
consumer after dapper+1/Vista.

I'm one of those crusty old Unix (back to the late 80s - lol )  users
who allmost doesn't want the the unwashed masses to migrate to my
shiny OS, but I know it's for the better good.

I see great things in our future.