Announcement letter of Network Manager 0.6 and KNetworkManager availability

Michael Biebl biebl at
Wed Mar 22 14:49:51 GMT 2006

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 05:04:23AM +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
>> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>>> The '~' character is used in package version numbers to allow them to
>>> correspond closely to upstream notation while still comparing in the
>>> expected way.
>> I remebered something like that and at first tried ~ but then lintian
>> complained loudly (bad-version-number).
>> False positive?
>> I also couldn't find a package in the archive which actually used ~.
> Yes, false positive.  We've used ~ in Ubuntu for a while now.  I don't think
> any versions currently in the archive happen to use it, but past ones have,
> as well as things like the bzr daily builds.

According to [1] it's not yet safe to use ~ in packages for the Debian
archive. Things might be different for the Ubuntu archive of course.

universe are pointed away from Earth?