Custom web browser protocol to install from apt-get

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Wed Mar 22 00:22:57 GMT 2006

also sprach Arwyn Hainsworth <arwyn at hainsworth.ru> [2006.03.19.1346 +0100]:
> Most things that make life easier are good things.

If it makes your life easier, does it also faciliate mine?

> As long as you can still do things the hard way I see no reason
> why a simpler form of package installation shouldn't exist.

It may be erroneous and cause people to forget about how things
really are?

> On the other hand implementing a browser protocol for apt-get is
> not the right way to go about solving the problem. A far better
> solution would be a dpkg wrapper that is executed for debs when
> the correct MIME is given. IE when you click the .deb file in the
> browser it gives you a 'open with deb installer' dialog instead of
> the 'open with archive-roller' it gives atm.

FYI, w3m and any other browser that properly supports /etc/mailcap
will do this (at least on Debian). But this approach won't do
dependencies.

 .''`.     martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
`. `'`

... and don't get caught in the .NET!