Diskless & Thin Systems

Jonathan Carter jonathan at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 21 17:30:31 GMT 2006

Hi Matt

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 10:10 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 06:33:44PM +0100, Martin Kreiner wrote:
> > the right approach for a "out-of-the-box" diskless client would be a ro shared
> > nfs and unionfs.
>
> It is conceptually tempting; however, our experiments showed that unionfs
> over NFS was an unstable configuration.  That's why our thin client
> implementation doesn't use it, though the code is still there and can be
> switched on via the configuration file.

Sorry for replying so late after the thread, I'm behind on -devel. What
was the major issues with this? Is it listed in Launchpad or the wiki?
I'm interested in doing this as well, for a diskless fat client set-up.
I'm using the ubuntu LTSP chroot instead of doing it for scratch, since
I think it could be an Edubuntu installation option in the future as
well.

-Jonathan