Custom web browser protocol to install from apt-get

Jamie Jones hentai_yagi at yahoo.com.au
Mon Mar 20 12:44:00 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 09:59 +0000, Who wrote:
> On 3/19/06, Jason Taylor <killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Klik uses a custom protocol klik:// to trigger installs
> >
> > I was thinking a similar thing for apt-get would be cool, so in a web
> > page you could have a link to apt-get-install://banshee and that would
> > trigger asking for the sudo password and then install from the
> > existing repo list, could even ui it by tying into synaptic so you get
> > a pretty progress bar.
> >
> > As a bonus maybe also apt-get-add-repo://
> >
> > Another use, the applications web site could actully give a link for
> > installing the application instead of a "avalible in dapper repo"
> >
> > Anybody else think this would be usefull, users would never have to
> > drop to command line you could have links on the howto page
> > instead.....
> >
> > Kiwi
> >
> > --
> >
> Really good idea!
>
> I think this would make a _world_ of difference to many Windows users
> who are _used_ to downloading programs from internet sites, and who
> don't really get the whole repository idea!
>
> Go for it!

I don't think it is such a good idea myself. This has a fantastic
potential for installing rootkits and other malware on an ubuntu system.
It takes all of 10 seconds to make a .deb that will erase your entire
system as soon as it is installed. It also opens up the real possibility
of linux based viruses to have an environment to thrive in, because when
installing these applications, it is installed with root privileges.

Regards,
Yagisan
--
Jamie Jones
Proprietor
Email: eyagi.consulting at gmail.com
Web: http://www.eyagiconsulting.com

GPG/PGP signed mail preferred. No HTML mail. No MS Word attachments
PGP Key ID 0x4B6E7209
Fingerprint E1FD 9D7E 6BB4 1BD4 AEB9 3091 0027 CEFA 4B6E 7209