Ubuntu On a Stick

Rocco Stanzione grasshopper at linuxkungfu.org
Sun Mar 19 23:37:45 GMT 2006

On Sunday 19 March 2006 17:09, Obi Bok wrote:
> It wouldn't be anything new, as there are quite a few Linux distros that
> were made for removable devices. Take DSL <http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/>
> for example - it does this job exceptionally well. I think that Ubuntu
> development should focus mainly on working towards fixing its Bug #1.

Yeah, there are other Linux distros available on a USB stick.  Yeah, smashing
Bug #1 should be our first priority.  But I don't think that has to come at
the expense of new coolness (take the new network manager as an example).  I
really have no idea how much demand there might be for a USBuntu, but I do
know that I would at least find it compelling enough to try.  I spend a lot
of time synching files, settings, package selections etc. between my work PC
and my home PC (both running Ubuntu, of course) and the stick could be a
great solution.

On the other hand I once played a sideline role in getting a Debian install to
boot from a stick, and it's not a trivial exercise.  I doubt there's any way
to squeeze it in before Dapper, and I don't have a strong opinion one way or
the other as to what priority a project like this should get or whether it
should even be done.  But let's not write it off because Bug #1 still exists.

Rocco Stanzione