Custom web browser protocol to install from apt-get

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Sun Mar 19 11:39:28 GMT 2006

also sprach Jason Taylor <killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com> [2006.03.19.1158 +0100]:
> I was thinking a similar thing for apt-get would be cool, so in
> a web page you could have a link to apt-get-install://banshee and
> that would trigger asking for the sudo password and then install
> from the existing repo list, could even ui it by tying into
> synaptic so you get a pretty progress bar.
>
> As a bonus maybe also apt-get-add-repo://

One thing I appreciate about Debian-derived distributions is that
they don't try to do too much magic.

> Anybody else think this would be usefull, users would never have
> to drop to command line you could have links on the howto page
> instead.....

I suppose it depends on the target audience. If Ubuntu users must be
shielded from the real work, then it's certainly a worthwhile idea.

 .''`.     martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"vista is evidentally latvian for "hen", and "perating system", that
 is, OS without the o, means "system for making eggs."  so vista is at
 least useful come breakfast time?"
                                                      -- kit la touche