fligth 5 testing

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Thu Mar 16 23:56:18 GMT 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, மு.மயூரன்  wrote:

Thanks for help to test Dapper;

> 1. breezy detected my hp deskget 3920 printer. here in daper, it's not
> detecting properly and it has no driver for hp deskjet 3920 printer.

Please can you file a bug:

  https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/hplip/+filebug

> 2. downloading updates on installation time is annoying. atleast put an
> option to get rid of it.

This is to ensure that you're being exposed to the internet, that your
machine is uptodate with any security fixes between when the CD you have was
released and the present.

Aswell as the normal security updates for the linux kernel and other daemons
this ensures that people still using CDs with the security update that came
out last week will be covered by the time they've finished installing.

There are on the whole very few packages (compared to the whole contents) of
the CD that do need to be updated).  If you're not on a network connection
when you install then this step will be missed and you'll be asked to
perform the updates when you do next connect.

There are some plans for a system that should reduce the download size
required massively for updates of the same package...  hopefully something
like this will be available in future releases.

> 3. screenserver setup window became very simple. but unusable. no previw, no
> advance settings.

Currently this was a upstream GNOME decision by the person who wrote the
gnome-screen-saver module.  A noticable proportion of people have expressed
an interest in being able to configure their screensavers so if the code is
developed (or ported over from 'GtkDemo.c'---the control-panel in
'xscreensaver') then will may change.

> 4. after installing scim-m17n, m17n IMengine is not showing up in scim setup
> window. there are no any information about m17n IM in /usr/lib/scim-1.0
> /1.4.0/IMEngine/

Wow, "m17n" in a new one on me.  Definitely a bug:

  https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/scim/+filebug

Please report bugs to the bug tracker;  this is the best way to get them
fixed and directed at the right people.

	-Paul
--
Britain is just cold, in a pesky way.  Southampton, GB