WPA support in NetworkManager

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 15 15:24:15 GMT 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 05:42:03PM -0500, Patrick McFarland wrote:
> On Saturday 11 March 2006 07:36, Mario Đanić wrote:
> > most probably not. That additional time will be used to squash bugs.
>
> But the lack of WPA support /is/ a bug. And it means, yet again, Ubuntu is
> pretty much useless for the "modern laptop". I'd really like to see WPA
> support be completed before Dapper launch.

Bugs which affect one personally always seem like the most important;
however, from where I sit, in a room full of people working productively on
modern laptops running Ubuntu, I can't share your perspective.

I recognize that WPA support is important to many users; however, the
feature goals for Dapper was very publicly developed, specified in writing
and refined months ago, and WPA wasn't on it.  We don't have spare capacity
for wishlisting, especially not so late in the development cycle when we
need to fix the bugs in the software we already have.

We'll happily review community contributions in this area, but in the
absence of those, this is unlikely to happen for Dapper.

--
 - mdz