Formatted vs. plain text mail (was: Call for testing the new dist-upgrade process)

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Mon Mar 13 14:59:01 GMT 2006

Op ma, 13-03-2006 te 17:21 +1100, schreef Jeff Waugh:
> Patrick,
>
> This is no way to behave on an Ubuntu list, whatever the provocation. Please
> be nice. Being a great place to *get things done* is one of the hallmarks of
> our community. That means resisting temptation at times!
>
> I have had to remind you about our Code of Conduct before - please take part
> in this community under those standards.

Patrick shouldn't have reacted like he did; he could have asked the OP
politely to use plain text in the future.

But...

OTOH, IMNSHO, the CoC also applies to sending HTML mail without caring
about other people.  Netiquette tells us not to send HTML (or other
formatted[*]) mails unless one can be sure the recipient(s) can read it
without jumping through loops (saving the attachment & opening it in a
browser isn't very productive either).

I think that's also politeness...

So can everybody[**] please think about other people _reading_ their
mail, and don't mail in their pet-format anymore?

[*] Outlook can send mails in RTF format, and I'm sure there are clients
that support other weird formats.
[**] Yes, that's also a request for the sabdfl...  ;-)

--
Jan Claeys