Gnome Screensaver issues? Two bugs

Dana Olson dana at ubuntustudio.com
Mon Mar 13 14:35:03 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 13:07 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Montag, den 13.03.2006, 11:59 +0000 schrieb Paul Sladen:
> > On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, Dana Olson wrote:
> >
> > There's two separate bugs here:
> >
> > > The screensaver comes on during games, movies,
> >
> > (1) This is lack of compatibility with "xscreensaver-command --poke" and I
> > think ogra might have been adding some compatibility glue(?).
> >
> not yet, i'm waiting for bugreports on the apps to see how many actually
> use xscreensaver-command --poke, i bet its less than 10% ...
>
> (see my former post, there are plenty of implementations to stop the
> screensaver)
>
> ciao
> 	oli

I think Patrick is right about this. Is there any reason we can't just
put the fix into SDL? It'll fix every game that uses SDL, even if
they're not in Ubuntu. Considering that commercial games often use SDL,
this would be ideal, I think. Unless there's something I'm missing here.

For an example, that commercial game I mentioned, Professor Fizzwizzle:

$ ldd ./Professor | grep SDL
        libSDL-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 (0x77f0f000)

This would also likely be easiest to get the fix commited upstream.

Dana