Run arbitrary commands at boot time?

Rocco Stanzione grasshopper at linuxkungfu.org
Sat Mar 11 19:29:44 GMT 2006

On Saturday 11 March 2006 10:17, John Nilsson wrote:
> > Well, my point is that letting the user easily modify what's happening
> > during init, without him understanding what he's doing, can make the
> > system unusable.
>
> And why should all of us who do understand what we are doing suffer
> because some idiot may break his system? This is not something to design
> by, make the system usable for the intended users.

That's not how I would have put it, but I agree with the sentiment.  Surely
we're not deliberately making it difficult to do this because some people
might screw it up.  I've written init scripts, so my complaint isn't that
it's too difficult for me to run an arbitrary command at boot time.  My
complaint is that writing a proper init script, symlinking it to the
appropriate runlevels etc. is fairly drastic overkill for a lot of things I
might want to happen at boot time, and it wouldn't be difficult to provide a
simple solution for this.

Rocco Stanzione